The regular meeting for the Continental School Board was held at 7:00 p.m. on April 21, 2020 in the high school cafeteria where social distancing could take place. The meeting was called to order by president Dean Bidlack.
Mrs. Tracy Potts, Elementary Principal, reported:
1. The elementary donated $780 to Relay for Life from money that was raised throughout the school year.
2. Class lists are finalized for the 2020-2021 school year.
3. All academic and attendance awards were sent home. Congratulations to Camren Burgei and Jackson Bidlack for receiving All A’s throughout their elementary career.
4. Kona Ice will be at the high school on Thursday to treat the students with a snow cone.
5. Student grades are due Friday at noon. Final grades will be available next week.
6. Families are participating in a drive thru drop off/pick up for their children’s personal items.
Mr. Tim Eding, JH/HS Principal, reported:>/b>
1. Graduation will be this Sunday (May 24th). There will be a graduation processional through town beginning at 2:00 p.m. and we will begin the graduation ceremony on school grounds at 2:30 p.m. Unfortunately, graduation will be closed to the public.
2. Vantage is holding a virtual senior awards ceremony on Friday at 6:30 p.m.
3. We were unable to hold our Academic Awards Assembly, but students will still receive any awards they would have normally earned (All A’s, Perfect Attendance, etc).
4. Scholarship Recipients: Mrs. McIntyre personally notified all scholarship recipients and we are also having this published so students receive the recognition that they deserve.
5. End-of-Year Items: Students/Parents are returning all textbook, devices, etc. to the building today and tomorrow. They are also being given opportunities to clean out their lockers and collect all of their belongings before the building is closed down for the summer.
The board went into executive session to discuss the employment and compensation of a public employee.
Time in: 7:12 p.m.
Time out: 8:30 p.m.
•Approved $303.56 from employees Brian Badenhop, Emily Fuller, Taylor Geckle, Amanda Gray, Casey Homier, Keith
Schnipke, Damon Schmidt, Nathan Schmidt, Danielle Stallkamp, Dan Swonger, Cathy Ohms, and Etta Worline to the
Continental School Scholarship Fund in lieu of service pins.
•Approved the following appropriation changes:
Fund 572 (Title I Grant) $ 6,468.03
Fund 590 (Title II Grant) $1,648.61
Fund 599 (Title IV Grant) $1,257.95
•Approved to amend the Certificate of Estimated Resources as follows:
Fund 572 (Title I) – Increase by $6,468.03
Fund 590 (Title II) – Increase by $1,648.61
Fund 599 (Title IV) – Increase by $1,257.95
•Approved the five-year forecast.
•Approved a three-year agreement, effective July 1, 2020 thru June 30, 2023, with Julian & Grube for preparation of
conforming the District’s financial statements to cash-basis accounting in a format consistent with GASB No. 34.
•Approved a three-year services agreement with NOACSC, effective July 1, 2020 thru June 30, 2023.
•Approved a contract with P.T. Services for physical therapy services for the 2020-2021 school year.
•Approved to amend the tax schedule for the following TIF Agreements:
Bare Creek Farms 2015
Cooper Farms 2018
Cooper Hatchery 2015
Dennis Vennekotter 2016
Principals and staff were applauded on their commitment to students and community during this time.
•Approved the second reading on NEOLA policies.
•New bus purchase update.
•Robin Etter gave the Vantage Career Center report.
Last Day for Students, May 21, 2020
Last Day for Teachers, May 22, 2020
Graduation, May 24, 2020, Main Street Processional 2:00 p.m.
•Approved the payment of spring supplementals with the following adjustments:
Spring athletic supplementals will receive their pay at 75%.
Annual co-curriculars will receive their pay at 100%.
•Approved the Plan for Use of 2019-2020 Wellness Dollars.
•Approved the Memorandum of Understanding with Defiance College for hosting teacher education candidates.
•Non-renewed the following 2019-2020 supplemental contracts:
Jordan Streicher, Athletic Director
Ben Warnecke, Baseball
Tyler Dockery, Asst Baseball
Leva Aguirre, Girls Fast Pitch Softball
Alex Quigley, Assistant Girls Fast Pitch Softball
Chris Warnement, Varsity Boys Track
Emily Fuller, Varsity Girls Track
Nathan Schmidt, Boys JH Track
Taylor Geckle, Girls JH Track
Tim Fuller, Assistant Track
Emily Fuller, Yearbook
Amanda Heil, School Musical Director
Jamie Armey, Co-Prom Advisor
Ashley See, Co-Prom Advisor
Jessica Swonger, Sr Class Advisor
Jaime Armey, HS Student Council
Ben Warnecke, JH Student Council
CarrieJo Verhoff, Co-Elementary Student Council
Brian Gerdeman, Co-Elementary Student Council
Colleen Siefker, FCCLA Advisor
Emily Fuller, National Honor Society Advisor
Nathan Schmidt, Scholastic Bowl
Cliff Koenig, JH Scholastic Bowl Advisor
Dan Swonger, School Musical Asst. Director
Pam Jones, School Musical Accompanist
•Approved the following supplemental contracts for the 2020-2021 school year, pending proper certification and
satisfactory background checks if applicable. These contracts will be voided if the sport or activity is unable to take
Scott Keck, Varsity Boys Basketball
Jessica Stauffer, 7th Grade Volleyball
•Employed Jessica Vennekotter as the elementary secretary and issued her a one-year limited contract, effective
August 3, 2020, pending satisfactory FBI/BCI background checks.
•Accepted the resignation of Candace Meyer, grade five teacher, effective at the end of the 2019-2020 school year.
Her last work day will be May 22, 2020. Her resignation date will be effective August 19, 2020.
•Approved the following summer custodial workers, on an “as needed” basis at the approved hourly sub rate, effective
May 4, 2020.
Nick Koenig, Kerri Prowant, Karson Prowant
•Approved summer hours for 12-month employees:
Monday-Thursday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
Monday-Thursday, 6:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Friday, 6:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
The next regular Board meeting will be June 16, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. in the administrative office. The meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.