Just across the street and up a little ways from the water tower, Continental lost a little piece of history at 209 North Main Street today. Known to most of us as the Williams’ Garage, that building has graced Main Street for over 100 years. The Centennial History of Continental, 1886 – 1986 states that the building was originally constructed to house a theater. Over the years it has changed owners a few times and housed various businesses: a Sohio Service Station in the 1920’s, then an auto repair shop, and later a Hudson dealership owned by Frank Winkle. Carl Williams Jr began working for the dealership and when it closed, bought the structure and established “Williams’ Garage” – the business most of us remember. More recently, the garage, sandwiched between the old Peg Leg restaurant and Vic Geckle’s store, has been used for storage.
A big gust of wind in the Spring of 2021 was too much for the old building and knocked down a back wall causing it to be condemned. After months of discussion and unforeseen delays, the building came down today (4/26/2022).