
Reposted from July 4, 2015 – Continental’s Masonic Lodge, chartered in 1894, is celebrating its 120th year. To commemorate this milestone in Continental’s history, enjoy this entry from “Centennial History – Continental, OH 1886 – 1986”:
Masonic Lodge (pg 242):
“Continental Lodge #570, Free and Accepted Masons, is the oldest organization of its kind still flourishing in Continental. Chartered on October 24, 1894, it elected William P Summers as its first Worshipful Master and soon began holding its meetings in the Keck Building in the 200 block of South Main Street. After the 1928 fire, when its quarters were destroyed by fire along with all its records, the lodge moved to the upstairs of the Morris Funeral Home (later to be the home of the Minch Brothers Store) until that too burned down in 1963. On February 16, 1965, the new Masonic building was dedicated. It stands at the corner of Third and Grove Streets, in the northwest part of town.
The Masons’ charitable activities include annual donations to several Shrine Burn Unit Hospitals, to the Special Olympics, and to the Masonic Home in Springfield OH. Local men who have held district offices include the late Auburn Merritt, who was District Deputy Grand Master from 1977 until his death two years later; and Gaylen Wing, who succeeded Mr. Merritt in this position from 1979 to 1982. The Masons meet on the second and fourth Mondays of the month, except in summer. Their present membership is 120.”
Pictures contributed by Dianne Dukes and Todd Bidlack are of the groundbreaking and laying of the cornerstone of the present-day Masonic Lodge that was dedicated on February 16, 1965.


