The Regular Meeting of the Village of Continental Council was held on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 with all members present. The Minutes from the September 11, 2018 meeting were approve. Bills were reviewed and it was determined to pay as presented. One Then & Now Purchase Order was approved for concrete work for a total of $5,800 to Brett Ripke Concrete.
1) Neighborhood Revitalization Grant (NRG) Update – Construction will begin this month on all of the projects. Some drainage issues are being corrected at First & Maple Streets prior to the paving project and AEP has been contacted about the need for a new pole to mount the electrical on once the gazebo is removed from Starling Park.
2) The pump that was removed from the Ash Street Lift Station is being sent out to be repaired if possible. The Village received a quote to rebuild it for $1275 + freight, but if the impeller needs to be replaced the quote goes up to $2144 + freight. Worse case, we would have to replace the pump, it would cost $5300 + freight.
3) The Maintenance building has some outside lights out and upon getting prices, it was determined it would be more cost effective to replace all nine of the old style light with LED lights for $1700. It will eventually save the Village money on electricity.
4) Audit Update: The main work of the audit has been completed and a preliminary report from the Auditors shows that there are no major issues.
Building Permits – None
1) A resident had a leaking toilet that he did not know about until after his meter was read. The leak has been fixed and he is now requesting a one-time reduction to an average bill, which council granted.
2) The Auditor’s suggested establishing a Capital Improvement Fund to account for the money being spent on behalf of the Village with the Neighborhood Revitalization Grant (NRG) and the Ohio Public Works Commission requires a separate fund to account for Issue 2 money. An Ordinance to Establish Two Capital Improvement Funds was passed as an Emergency. And a motion to amend the Estimated Resources for the Village was passed to increase the Revenues reported to the County to show the NRG money coming in on behalf of the Village. Then an Ordinance to Amend the Appropriations in the Capital Improvement Fund was passed in Emergency to account for the money being spent on behalf of the Village.
3) Personnel Policy changes concerning Vacation and Health Insurance were discussed and changes made to the language of the proposed Personnel Policy to reflect what the Village is doing.
4) Zoning & Review Board Update: The Review Board met and walked some properties within the Village to determine if there are Zoning Violations on Tuesday, September 18th. Some properties are in violation and letters will be sent requesting the homeowners to appear at the October 9, 2018 meeting.
5) A short executive session was held to discuss personnel employment. No action was taken within the Executive session.
6) Council voted to hire Trevor Leis as a new Maintenance Department employee. An Emergency Ordinance setting his starting pay and the terms for future raises was passed.
Mayor Miller thanked everyone involved for all their hard work on the Fall Festival that was held last weekend, including the Fall Fest Committee, area businesses & churches and volunteers and all who attended and participated in the events of the Fall Festival for their support.
Village of Continental